![]() |
| Image via HERE. |
I've been back in the pool again for just going on two weeks and I love it!
I was never a 'sporty' kid, but mum put me into swimming as a child to help with my asthma. My brother and sister are both natural sportspeople...but I just never 'had it'. I was always big as a kid because of all the steroids I was on to manage my asthma. I could never run, I never played sports...I danced (for a few years) and I swam.
I swam until high school and then that stopped too.
But just like you can never forget how to ride a bike, I never forgot how to swim.
I love swimming and absolutely adore summer as it means I can get back into the water.
When I'm in the water, I'm transported back to my childhood. I'm a kid again and enjoy swimming lap after lap. I feel confident in the water and feel that I'm good at something. I may not be good at any other sport...but swimming feels like home. I'm relaxed in the water and all worries or stresses in my life disappear while I'm there.
At the moment I'm swimming two sessions a week and today I swam 1km! My brother has written a swimming program for me to follow and I'm loving it! He's got a mix of flippers / kick-board / pool bouy work, shorter distances, longer distances and sprints. It's a good workout and the time flies!
Now that I've rediscovered swimming, I don't think I'll be able to give it up again. I was chatting to two other swimmers this morning...the women I was speaking to swims 100 laps each morning (2.5km) and the man I spoke to swims 80 laps in the morning and 100 at night (total of 4.5km daily). He's lost a total of 75kg to date and is inspirational!
My daughters both do swimming lessons and I'm so proud of them. My eldest daughter cried for over 2 years and now swims beautifully. Her freestyle and backstroke are fantastic and she's just started learning how to breaststroke. My younger daughter is a little fish and looks forward to her lesson each week. I love that we are a family of water babies! My girls were so excited to see mummy compete in the triathlon on Saturday and enjoyed watching me swim...I love being a good role model for my beautiful daughters :)
I was never a 'sporty' kid, but mum put me into swimming as a child to help with my asthma. My brother and sister are both natural sportspeople...but I just never 'had it'. I was always big as a kid because of all the steroids I was on to manage my asthma. I could never run, I never played sports...I danced (for a few years) and I swam.
I swam until high school and then that stopped too.
But just like you can never forget how to ride a bike, I never forgot how to swim.
I love swimming and absolutely adore summer as it means I can get back into the water.
When I'm in the water, I'm transported back to my childhood. I'm a kid again and enjoy swimming lap after lap. I feel confident in the water and feel that I'm good at something. I may not be good at any other sport...but swimming feels like home. I'm relaxed in the water and all worries or stresses in my life disappear while I'm there.
At the moment I'm swimming two sessions a week and today I swam 1km! My brother has written a swimming program for me to follow and I'm loving it! He's got a mix of flippers / kick-board / pool bouy work, shorter distances, longer distances and sprints. It's a good workout and the time flies!
Now that I've rediscovered swimming, I don't think I'll be able to give it up again. I was chatting to two other swimmers this morning...the women I was speaking to swims 100 laps each morning (2.5km) and the man I spoke to swims 80 laps in the morning and 100 at night (total of 4.5km daily). He's lost a total of 75kg to date and is inspirational!
My daughters both do swimming lessons and I'm so proud of them. My eldest daughter cried for over 2 years and now swims beautifully. Her freestyle and backstroke are fantastic and she's just started learning how to breaststroke. My younger daughter is a little fish and looks forward to her lesson each week. I love that we are a family of water babies! My girls were so excited to see mummy compete in the triathlon on Saturday and enjoyed watching me swim...I love being a good role model for my beautiful daughters :)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for reading!
If you would like to respond to my post or you'd simply like to share your own journey, please write a comment...I really LOVE to read them!