Sunday, October 14, 2012

Got my skates on...



I went roller skating yesterday...for the very FIRST time!

I wanted to reward myself for shedding 10%, 10kg and competing in my first triathlon...and I didn't want the reward to be food related.

So, I told hubby and the kids that I wanted us all to go roller skating! With three first timers and hubby who admitted he wasn't very good at skating...this was going to be one interesting and hilarious event!

We went to a brand new skating rink that has opened about 20 minutes away from our house...and I have to admit...I was nervous! I was nervous about staying upright...and how on earth was I going to look after the girls if I couldn't even stand up?

Well...there was nothing to be worried about! The staff were amazing and very encouraging! They showed us a few basics...like how to get back up after a fall...and gave the girls a 'skate mate' (a triangular frame with wheels that they use to help teach people how to balance and skate).

Thank goodness for the skate mate! I used one skate mate with my older daughter and my hubby was with our younger daughter! I skated tandem around the rink with my princess until we both got our confidence...then she used it by herself and I attempted to skate without an aide!

We had an absolute ball! I have to admit...it wasn't as scary as I first thought...and I didn't fall once...must have been beginners luck! The four of us laughed and laughed...and enjoyed being active as a family! I've had a bit of an emotional week...and it was just what I needed...to have fun!

The girls are starting skating classes next Saturday...and we're going back next Saturday night for my younger daughters and my birthday (we're a day apart). I bet you can guess what my girls requested as their birthday presents.....

...you guessed right...a pair of skates.

...But guess what...

...I requested a pair of skates for my birthday too!

Fun times ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!
If you would like to respond to my post or you'd simply like to share your own journey, please write a comment...I really LOVE to read them!